Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Mere Brother Ki Dulhan (2011)

Romantic Comedy: 7/10


So after figuring out that Katrina Kaif wasn't that bad (I hated her in Jab Tak Hai Jaan) and wanting to give Imran Khan another chance she I knew he had to be better than I Hate Love Stories, I finally decided to watch Mere Brother Ki Dulhan.  It was exactly what a needed.  A good, actually funny romantic comedy.  I mean, it had good relationship development and angsty love triangle without it being dumb, awkward, or bad, and that is hard to find.



So, the whole time I was staring at Imran thinking, he has to be related to Aamir.  I think I already knew that, I just forgot, but boy does he look like him in this one.  That was just another plus in his favor.  His character was decent too, which is what I needed to get to like him.  Now my list of movies that are available to watch has grown, since my silly prejudices have been taken care of.  Yay!

So, we have an older brother living in London who breaks up with his girlfriend.  He is so upset he decides to let his parents set up his arranged marriage.  We get the impression that he is kind of an idiot.  We also have a little brother who is tasked by his older brother to help his parents out because he knows what his older brother will like.  Basically "if you like her, I will like her" type deal.  Only he literally likes her.  After hilarious misadventures with trying to find someone suitable, he ends up finding an old college friend of his, and she is game.

After living a bit wildly the way she wants, she is ready to settle down and accept an arranged marriage that her parents set up.  Her father is a diplomat and so everything is to be set up all classy and both families are thrilled.  Older brother comes back from London and the wedding is all set up.  Then little brother starts to feel sad and figures out that he likes her, but has to get those two to like each other, so he starts removing himself from the picture.  She doesn't like this, because all the sudden her best friend is disappearing and she feel empty without him.  Dah dah dah.  What will happen?!?

Are these too many spoilers?  Nah, that's the basic plot.  I love the friendship that develops between him and the girl, and it's all under the pretext of them planning the wedding.  I also love how the older brother, although a bit of an idiot at times, is a nice guy and the relationship between the brothers is just as important.  Like most Bollywoods, it is about the importance of families.  Certainly it is also super cheesy and ridiculous at parts, but that is part of the fun.  And this show is a lot of fun.

Favorite Song:
Choomantar

Favorite Dance:
Mere Brother Ki Dulhan and Madhubala

This was actually really hard to pick, because I seriously loved all these songs, they were all really fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment