Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Fanaa (2006)


So following my friend's advice I looked for more Aamir Khan films as I approached the world of Bollywood. Fanaa was probably not the best choice for an armature such as I. Like most Aamir Khan films, Fanaa has an agenda and political message. It actually caused a lot of controversy when it first was released, as the main plot of the film has to do with terrorism and regional conflicts and prejudice.



My biggest problem with it was that it couldn't seem to decide what it was. It seemed to start off as a Romantic Comedy, with a blind girl who falls in love with a tour guide who seems like a bit of a scoundrel on the surface, but has a heart of gold underneath. But then fooled you! It's now an action adventure film... No wait, now it's a drama. Overall it has to be called a Political drama/Romance, mostly romance, and what makes this film really work is the amazing chemistry between Aamir Khan and Kajol. Kajol is one of my favorite actresses and she pulls off the blind girl in love as well as the protective mom really well.

So while it was unfortunate that I saw this film so early, so I didn't appreciate the political message and cultural aspects as much as I didn't understand them, this is still a really good film, if you are in the mood for something politically charged and tear jerking. Just don't watch it until you are a seasoned Bollywood watcher with some knowledge of India's history and political conflicts.

Favorite Song:
Mere Haath Mein

Favorite... Dance?:
Chand Sifarish

No comments:

Post a Comment